Dunleith Night
view/download Dunleith Property Information Packet




84 Homochitto Street, Natchez, Adams County, Mississippi, 39120
A National Historic Landmark, National Historic Register Property, and included in the Historic American Building Survey


Sale includes the luxury inn and gourmet restaurant, contents of all buildings and garden elements.
Excluded: two cast-iron sugar kettles and approximately ten pieces of furniture.


Built:                                1856,   Builder: John Crowthers
Land:                                55.4 +/- acres of gardens, lawn, and majestic ancient live oaks
                                            (contains the 40 original acres plus 15.4 +/- acres)


Guest Bedrooms:       Total of 22 Luxury Guest Bedrooms-each with a private full bathroom containing Aquatic  Hydrotherapy Air Baths

Main House:                     8

Brick Dependency:          11

Old Dairy Barn:                3


In-ground Swimming Pool
Bocce Ball Court
Croquet Court


Historic Buildings on Property:
• Main House with full porches encircling both floors with 26 masonry Tuscan columns
•Three-story brick dependency on courtyard
•Castle Restaurant & Pub, located in the Old Carriage House
•Dairy Barn Building, now a Guest House
•Poultry House, now guest check-in
•Greenhouse and Garden outbuilding


20 minutes to Natchez-Adams County Airport (Hardy-Anders Field)
1.5 hours to Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport, Baton Rouge, LA
1 hour 40 minutes to Alexandria International Airport, Alexandria, LA
2 hours to Jackson–Evers International Airport, Jackson, MS


Average Annual High Temperature:              76.5 degrees
Average Annual Low Temperature:               53.8 degrees
Average Annual Precipitation / Rainfall:        60.98 inches






Spacious 2 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment located on one of the most sought after blocks in the French Quarter. Private balcony overlooking Royal Street and a shared tropical courtyard. This 1,990 +/- sq ft. unit features original Egyptian marble mantels, hardwood floors, and many other period features dating back to the building’s construction in 1835. 










Linwood Plantation Property Information Packet



422 Dougherty Lane, Jackson, East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana 70748
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Built:                                       circa 1848
Builder:                                  Albert G. Carter
Land:                                       26.24 acres   (about 15 acres of fenced pasture)

Living Square Footage:         4,439 +/- sq. ft.

Rooms:                                    17
Bedrooms:                               4
Bathrooms:                             3.5

Fireplaces:                               8, 2 are active
Ceilings:                                  13.5’ downstairs, 11.5’ upstairs, 9’ wing
Floors:                                     Cypress and Pine

Property includes a whole house generator and features copper gutters.

Additional Buildings: Garden Shed, Guest Cottage, Barn, Enclosed Garage

Taxes:                                      $900 / year
Production:                            cattle are grazed on about 15 of the acres

36  minutes from Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport
16  minutes from St. Francisville, Louisiana

Average Annual High Temperature:              92 degrees
Average Annual Low Temperature:               39 degrees
Average Annual Precipitation / Rainfall:        64.7 inches







cover photo

Mary Plantation Property Information Packet

OFFERED AT $975,000

5539 State Highway 39(River Road), Braithwaite, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana 70040
A National Historic Register property and included in the Historic American Building Survey (HABS)

MLS # 2067262

Property fronts the Mississippi River on the old River Road with a skyline view of New Orleans.
This property has been established as an event business, capable of hosting 200+ guests.

Land: 10 +/- acres (3 parcels)
Area for Main House and Carriage House:
Living Area……………………………………………….……3,514 +/- sq ft
Porch/Patio……………………………………………….…..3,961 +/- sq ft
Total Square Footage.……………………………………..7,475 +/- sq ft

Parcel One (Main House and Carriage House) – $1290/year
Parcel Two (Pasture/Parking) – $9.50 / year
Parcel Three (Down River Guest House) – $18.00/year
Fully furnished, including all antique furniture, decorative arts, art, garden statuary, sugar kettles, and event supplies (about 20 round event tables, 200 white padded chairs, cases of stem ware, white table cloths and white linen napkins). All antique furniture and decorative arts were selected with the help of antiquarian, Rob Melton.
22 miles to downtown New Orleans
40 miles to Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
Average Annual High Temperature: 78 degrees
Average Annual Low Temperature: 59degrees
Average Annual Precipitation / Rainfall: 62 inches









  • Rare, exceptional Creole plantation built c. 1790-1820.
  • Meticulous restoration.
  • Total living area 2,658 sq. ft.
  • Original cypress and stone floors, six wood-burning fireplaces.
  • Sits on 34.8 bucolic acres with pond, guest house, 18th-century Creole barn.
  • Featured on the cover of Creole Houses: Traditional Homes of Old Louisiana.
  • 30 minutes from Baton Rouge, Louisiana downtown & airport.

Offered at $1,495,000


Peter W. Patout, Listing Agent
Licensed in Louisiana & Mississippi

Talbot Historic Properties
3938 Bienville Street, New Orleans, Louisiana 70119
office:  504.415.9730

Quick Links

View attached PDF for remaining information:

  • Tract Drawing
  • Map
  • National Register of Historic Places Nomination
  • Historic American Building Survey Drawings
  • Jaques Dupré Biography
  • Jaques Dupré Tomb
  • Peter Patout & Tracy Talbot Biographies
  • Bibliography
Jaques Dupre HouseView/Print PDF

General Information

  • ML# 978639
  • Land: 34.8 acres + / –
  • Total Living Area: 2,657 sq. ft.
  • Total Area:  4,204 sq. ft.
  • Main House Living Area: 2,235 sq ft.
  • Main House Porches: 1,268 sq. ft.
  • Main House – 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
  • Guest House Living Area: 422 sq. ft.
  • Guest House Porches: 279 sq. ft.
  • Guest House – 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom
  • 18th-Century Barn moved from St. Landry Parish: Approx. 1,054 sq. ft.
  • Large Metal “Barn”: Approx. 3,000 sq. ft. with a 20’ 30’ air conditioned room, concrete floors
  • Main house moved to current Point Coupee Parish site on October 17, 1994.
  • Relisted to National Register of Historic Places on December 5, 2003.
  • The main house, guest house, and log barn have treated hand split cedar shingles.
  • Four wood burning fireplaces in main house, and two in guest house. All have gas starters.
  • Stove in main house is gas.


Main house & guest house both have green energy geothermal central air and heat, installed in stages: 1st floor about 2001, 2nd floor about 2004. Geothermal air and heat in guest house was installed between late 1995 and early 1996.

Average electric bill for main house, guest house, and the 20’ x 30′ room in the barn is $164.74/mo. This is an average of 27 months during 2011-2013.


$1,095 per year


Main house & guest house each have a security system


Downstairs Main House

  • Kitchen – 9’ 7” x 10’
  • Living Room / Dining – 16’ 6” x 30’ 8”
  • Bedroom – 13’ 9” x 16’ 6”
  • Bathroom – 9’ 11” x 8’ 3”
  • Storage – 3’ 5” x 10’ 2”
  • Front Porch – 11’ 5” x 47’ 10”
  • Back Porch – 10’ 10” x 18’ 8”
  • Ceiling Heights*
    • Kitchen: 7’ 11”
    • Bedroom: 7’ 3 ½”
    • Bathroom: 7’ 7”
    • Big Room: 7’ 3 ½” – 1’ 5”
    • Porches: 7’ 11”

Guest House

  • Front Porch – 9’ 3” x 25’ 6”
  • Back Porch – 8’ 1” x 16’ 10”
  • Living Room – 12’ 8” x 15’ 4”
  • Bedroom – 11’ 3” x 15’ 4”
  • Bathroom – 7’ 3” x 7’ 9”
  • Ceiling Height* – 8’ 4 ¼”

Upstairs Main House

  • Porch – 10’ 10 ½” x 47’ 10”
  • Bathroom – 10’ 2” x 12’ 10”
  • Left Bedroom – 14’ 8” x 18’ 2”
  • Salon – 18’ 2” x 18’ 2”
  • Right Bedroom – 12’ 7” x 18’ 2”
  • Enclosed Porch / Dining Room – 10’ 2” x 22’ 9”
  • Laundry Room – 10’ 2” x 10’ 2”
  • Ceiling Heights*
    • Bedrooms: 7’ 10”
    • Living Room: 8’ 9 ¾”
    • Bathroom & Utility Room: 7’ 10 ¾”
    • Front Porch: 7’ 11 ½”
*Measurements are from the floor to the bottom of the ceiling beam.

Jaques Dupré House featured in book
Creole Houses: Traditional Homes of Old Louisiana

The massive roof of wooden shingles is supported by a Norman truss. Structural evidence suggests that the house originally had a double-pitch roof instead of this umbrella-style roof. To the right and slightly behind the main house is a cottage that is used as a guesthouse.

Images from Creole Houses are used with permission of photographers Steve Gross and Sue Daley.

Front_Exterior_FacadeThe Governor Jaques Dupré Plantation House The namesake and longtime resident of this circa 1790-1820’s Creole raised plantation cottage, Jaques Dupré, was a major landholder whose property included much of present-day Saint Landry Parish. A cattle rancher, he was active in state politics during the Jacksonian era and served briefly as Louisiana’s governor from 1830-31, after the sitting governor died in office.The plantation stood for generations near Opelousas, in the heart of Louisiana’s cattle-ranching Acadian country, about eighty miles west of Baton Rouge. But it had fallen into disrepair by the mid-1990s, when the present owner acquired and relocated it some forty miles east to a former soybean field near Jarreau, in Pointe Coupee’s False River area.The owner restored and furnished the house with passion and verve, doing much of the work with her own hands. In the late 1990s she planted an allée of live oaks that will in time beautifully frame the entry. That landscaping decision underscores the principle guiding the owner’s restoration: It is meant not only for the present, but for the future as well. She also restored some of the furnishings and has undertaken repairs in the upper walls, mixing the mud-based bousillage herself.The ground floor, comprising the dining and sitting room, kitchen, a bedroom, and a bath, was reconstructed with the original bricks, door and window casings. She incorporated electricity and other modern conveniences. The gallery never extended around to the back of the house; there, what may originally have been an open loggia between two cabinets, has been enclosed and now contains a staircase.The ground floor porch beneath the gallery is paved in brick, a traditional treatment found at the original site. The cylindrical columns, composed of courses of bricks shaped like slices of pie, stand upon square brick bases; some of the bricks bear the initials “J.D.” (presumably for Jaques Dupré). The wear patterns on the cypress worktable suggest a mid-nineteenth-century origin. Against the wall stand a pile (a large mortar made from a tree trunk) and its wooden pilon (pestle), used to pulverize corn to make file from sassafras leaves, and to remove the hulls from rice.Patio


Sunlight floods the salon from doors which open to the gallery. To the left, above a French side chair with gold-embossed, red leather seat, hangs a portrait of Jaques Dupré himself. In the corner stands a rare Louisiana-made tall-case clock with a cabinet of cherry and cypress. The portrait of Daniel Stewart above the fireplace is Jacques Amans – a favorite painter among Louisiana Creoles in the 1830s and 1840s. The Duncan Phyfe-style mahogany breakfast table is from New York and dates from 1810-20.



The roughhewn beams in the sitting area betray the ground floor’s original utilitarian use as a storage space; typically beams used in such houses’ living spaces were smoothly dressed. The sandstone flagging is the original flooring. The painted bench with cushions dates from about 1830 and possibly came from Baltimore. The Louisiana walnut table, with turned legs and stretcher, dates from 1820-30. Above the fireplace is a painting from 1884-85 by William Henry Buck, who is associated with Louisiana’s “bayou school.”The upstairs bath boasts a wood-enclosed, copper-plated tin tub and a hand-colored lithograph of Hayne Hudjihini (also known as Eagle of Delight), whose husband was chief of the Oto tribe. It is one of the rare female portraits from Thomas McKenny and James Hall’s American Indian series. To the left is the enclosed loggia, whose lower walls are painted in a terra-cotta matched to a similar paint found in the house. To the right of the bath, past the curtained doorway, is a bedroom with a Louisiana mahogany armoire.A striped Acadian coverlet adorns an upstairs bedroom’s high-post Louisiana-made bed of cypress and cherry. A laundry basket of split white oak holds more vintage Acadian bedclothes woven of Louisiana cotton. By the bed, on the cypress floor, is an eighteenth-century Spanish chamber pot. The drop-front desk, made in Louisiana of cypress and cherry, dates from the 1810s.


The downstairs bedroom’s French-made walnut bed (late eighteenth or early nineteenth century) is dressed with textiles descended through generations of the owner’s family in Arkansas, including a quilt and a linsey-woolsey coverlet. The early-nineteenth-century walnut chest at the foot of the bed is also a family piece from Maryland or Georgia. Folded on top is a trio of Acadian woven blankets. Throughout the house, curtains (usually toile) hang from simple forged iron rods and metal rings, a treatment described in early-nineteenth-century accounts.




Main House Kitchen




Downstairs Bathroom



Upstairs Bathroom



Guest House

1840’s Creole Guest House from nearby property in Point Coupee Parish.



View from guest house back porch


18th-Century Barn

Rare late 18th-Century barn, originally located in Cecilia, St. Landry Parish, Louisiana.




Metal Barn


Approximately 3,000 sq. ft., including a 20’ x 30′ air conditioned room. Concrete floor.

First Floor Plan


Second Floor Plan



Peter W. Patout, Listing Agent
Licensed in Louisiana & Mississippi

Talbot Historic Properties
3938 Bienville Street, New Orleans, Louisiana 70119
office:  504.527.0902